We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out. ~Winston Churchill

1.22.2010

Save Yourself

I have faced many fears in life. Fear of police cars, fear of the toilet, fear of my Mom, but there was one fear that came later in life. That was the fear of my Mother-in-law. She never gave me a physical reason to fear her, but I believe it is an emotional 'save yourself' mechanism that every young man feels when marring into a different family. It could also be that fact that my Mom always told me that my future wifes Mom would never like me, like she does! You would think a normal fear would be toward the future Father, but for me it was the Mother.

It was summer time, and Ang and I decided to go and visit her parents in Sorrento. Erv was just starting his 28th, 10 year plan, which is now the place we live in, and if I remember correcly I think Ang was pregnant with our first child. 
It was late afternoon, and the sky was fairly clear. Ang and I pulled into the dusty driveway, in the dreaded Chevy Cavalier. Erv was hard at work, as usual, and over to the side was a lady with a shovel. Ang and I hadn't even gotten out of the car, when the lady (Ev), turned swinging the shovel and yelling something. Ang waved pleasantly, but I was suddenly overcome with fear for my life. I had pictured this moment since we reported that Angie was pregnant. I would lose my life to a small blonde lady swinging an out of control shovel. I ask Ang what she was saying? Ang responded with "Hello." But I knew that through that smile she was saying, "Come here and give me a huge so I can hit you with this lovely metal shovel that Mierau bought." A shiver ran through my body. Ang could tell something was bothering me and asked, "Whats wrong?" With a quiver in my voice I said, "She Scares Me!!" Ang laughed, which made me more uncomfortable and we opened the door to greet the lady with the shovel. Her hair was matted, and knotted with chucks of dirt hanging from it. Her voice crackled with, "Hello."  I nearly lost my breath as she huged me. I closed my eyes and am sure I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Out of respect for Ang and her parents I couldn't run, so I stayed close to Ang, asking her not to leave me alone with her.
For 5 minutes we watch Erv move a pile of dirt from one area to another. Ev showed us the property, and the mysterious 6 foot deep hole. I asked what that was for. Ev just laughed and said, "You'll find out!"

Well, I did survive that visit and all visit since Ang and I have married. But there is something strange I can't figure out? Ev claims that she broke her foot on a icey parking lot!? This happened right around the time Angie broke up with her boyfriend before me!? Ang tells me not to worry, but deep down I still don't know what that 6 foot deep hole was for.


This is Ev... No not the one in the front. When I was home, doing school, we would spend our days playing games and drinking coffee. She doesn't scare me as much, anymore!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm no longer laughing and have now become afraid of you. I'm afraid of what I might say will no longer be "in the family"...

    hahahahahahaha....another gold for you Don! (I'm sticking to the Olympic theme for rating your blogs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I changed my intereted comments down below to the olympic medals! haha

    ReplyDelete