We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out. ~Winston Churchill

1.29.2010

Hobos and Guns

"Chilly to my Willy." That is the best way to tell you how cold it was. The sun was shining but the wind blew.

Along with Poonam, Trish, and Natter, I spent 1 and 1/2 hours standing in the hallway of a local school waiting to talk to mother's who were registering their children for kindergarten; about taking care of the child's teeth and promoting Regency as a place to come to.

Instead of talking to parents we spent the time talking to Kindergarteners, Grade 3's and Grade 8's, about nutrition and tooth brushing. After shaking off the nerves, it turned into a great time interacting with the kids. Some had a great understanding of how to clean their teeth and others just didn't care.
When Trish and I were talking to the Grade 3's about nutrition; I asked the question, "What are good foods to eat?" The kids gave answers like, apples, grapes, tomatoes, rice, pears, etc. Than I asked the question, "What are bad foods for you teeth?" The kids answered chocolate, candy, sugar, etc. But there was one boy at the front who had his hand up. I pointed to him, and he answered, "Hobo's are not good for your teeth." Being shocked by the answer we asked him if he said, "Hobo's?" He said, "yap." The only thought that went through my head was, "ok, lets ask another child to answer." Than the boy at the front put his hand up again. I decided to go to him, and with a smile he answered, "Guns aren't good for your teeth." "Yap", I said, "they aren't!" Although the boy was being funny, he was right. Hobo's and gun's are not good for you to eat. They would probably cause some damage to your teeth.

So next time you plan to eat a hobo or a gun, please remember the wise words of a 8 year old. "They aren't good for your teeth."

No comments:

Post a Comment