When you see this picture, and take a good look at the lady in the chair, what comes to mind??
- She looks crazy!
- She must love her son!
- She is happy and would never hurt a soul!
- She's his Mom?!
- Why did he turn out so strange?!
I know I am not adopted because I do share my strange sense of humour with my Mom and beloved sister. My wife sometimes just looks on in amazement as we laugh at the strangest or driest of situations. Like Corner Gas . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr4Odcum6PI
My Mom does love me, but she is not as innocent as she appears. There was a moment when my soul was changed forever. That Moment took place when I was approximately 5 or 6 of age:
It was a late summer afternoon in Abbotsford, B.C., and I waited excitedly for my Mom to arrive home from work. She carried my treasured bike which had gone in for a pimpn' overhaul. I was sitting at home waiting because I was serving a weekly punishment for fishing at the local lake a little passed my allocated time. As a young man trying to provide food for my Mom and sister, it never made sense that I was punished for working overtime? Whenever I did bring my spoils home, I ended up being the only one to eat them.
As my Mom pulled into the driveway in her brown 1984 Mustang, I dashed to meet her and free my bike from the Mustang’s clutch. I was thrilled, pumped and driven to take my bike for a test ride. I leaped on and pedalled as fast as I could. I can still hear my Mom clearly say, “Just a quick ride and don’t go far.” The air flowed through my wispy hair. The motor purred and time seemed to stand still.
I travelled approximately 100 yards down the street, when I ran into some of my friends. Knowing I was not allowed to go far, I quickly said "Yo," and darted home.
Mom had a funny look on her face. A look I had unfortunately seen many times before! I quietly put my bike away and knew that I was to go to my room. After what felt like 100 lashing, which actually turned out to be one, I was informed that I was to spend the night in my room. To add insult to injury I was also informed that I would be under the strict supervision of my sister as Mom adventured out to the Mall. I thought I was pretty smart and spouted, "that's fine I have toys to play with in here!!" Stupid, I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. Mom grabbed the toys and exited the room as I tried to refresh her mind of what she had said as I road away.
Time slowly drifted by. A dirty plate was shovelled under the door. The only thing remaining was residue from the mashed potatoes and meat loaf; as the door bulldozed the rest of it as it went under. I found a grass stained sock to chew on, but the hunger pains would not subside.
Then the door opened.... She was like an angel. A halo of light from the hall outlined her in majesty. "This must be it; I am free from my prison?" Instead my sister handed me the phone, like a guard at a maximum security prison. "Hello...?" It was Mom! I asked if I was allowed to come out. With laughter in her voice she explained that I was not free from my hole. I tried to reason with her but it was no hope. My spirit was crushed. The sweet lady in the picture, was not simply calling to check up on me, but was coldly calling to drive home that fact that she was at the Mall shopping while I was stuck in my room.
I gently gave the phone back to the guard and blacked out; suppressing the overwhelming pain I felt at that exact moment.
This real life story is the defining moment of why I am the way I am.
Thanks Mom... Love you! : )

Thank you for that Don. I am laughing so freakin hard I seriously have tears running down my face....not exaggerating! I read it out loud to Ben and he was dying from laughing too! Our stomachs hurt...I could barely finish reading it. I actually had to pause to compose myself.
ReplyDeleteForget about Dental Hygiene, write books, and kids stories. I had to read it all the way through. It was like a John Grisham novel. The exception is that I did not go to the last chapter and read that first. Your suspense kept me reading all the way through from the beginning to the end. Some day I would like to meet your mother. She is my type of a Hard Nosed Woman and we need more like that. You are what you are because of her and be proud. Good storey
ReplyDeleteThanks Erv!! Luckily She has grown soft as she aged!!
ReplyDelete