Meeting
Friday night I went and saw the "Rick Mercer Report." I thought I would never get the chance, but being in Toronto opened the door. So I ran through it!
Unlike other tapings I have been to, this one didn't consist of much live presentation from Rick himself. If you've watched the show before, you know he goes out on assignement. Wakes up a mother bear, or hunkers-down with a member of parliament. This time he was out in Calgary, at the Olympic Park, trying to speed skating and louge. Unfortunitely, Rick was experiencing some technical difficulties with his knee due to alcoholic sledding, so a Summer Olympian filled in for him. Rick also ran pre-taped commercials which were pretty good. The highlight of the night came when about 6 massive men pushed their way through the crowd, displacing 2 audience members to the floor, and proceeded to bring out an archiac large screen TV. Now you know the economic down-turn hit deep, when CBC's budget wouldn't allow for a nicer newer TV. Rick siad it was for the effect of him hitting it with an old metal pointer on glass, but come on, that is what sound effects are for. Once set up, we cheered, clapped, and relaxed, just for the effect of crowd noise. It was a thrilling moment in taping history, and one I will never forget! (Please note the Sarcasm).
Once the taping was all over we were dismissed and were informed we could me the man himself. The line up was long but went fast. The CBC halls were lined with photo's, which CBC got off of Google, of past comedians that adorned the stages.
The time came for me to meet and great Rick Mercer. Most times I am very good at putting my foot in my mouth, or coming up with some rediculous comment, but this time I got the the numbing symptoms of, "Meeting a TV Personality Disease." My mind collapsed, but my hand went forward to give a joyful greating. No, "Great Show," or ,"I watched you for along time, since 22 Minutes." All that came out of my mouth was, "Hello." I didn't feel nervous by the regular sense of it, but I must have been. I handed over the camera to the lady, sided up to Rick and smiled; Capturing the moment that titles todays blog.
you actually look quite comfortable and relaxed there beside him...like good ol' buddies posing for a pic
ReplyDeleteWas your arm around him or his around you? HEEEHEE
ReplyDelete