We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out. ~Winston Churchill

2.01.2010

February

Today is February 1st, 2010. I decided to make a change and not put up with people on the subway. People here are always in a rush. Need to get on the bus first, the subway first, and in the door first.

I was waiting at St. George Station, to get on the east bound train. The train pulled up and I stood pondering patiently for the doors to open. As the door slowly creeped open, a little older lady stepped in my way. She was wearing a knitted hat, a flowery jacket with scarf, fashionable guess boots and walked with a cane.

My blood was boiling. I stuck my foot in front of her. Applied my hands to her back and pushed. This was it, once and for all I was going to send a statement to all people, young or old, that I am not going to get pushed around in the big city.

As she flew towards the ground, I had a brief sense of remorse, but it quickly faded as she caught herself with the cane. Slowly leveling herself, she turned around glaring straight at me. My first feeling was to run. My legs were like jelly, and now the woman's cane was a dog. It barked, hissed, and clawed its way towards me. I drew the sausage out of my bag and started to eat it. My neighbour pulled out assorted cheese and crackers. As we cut up the tray, the little lady and her cane wondered off the train and up the stairs. I turned back to the people.

"Kennedy Station." I wipe the drool of my lower lip and looked around the train. Standing quickly to look stable I stepped off the subway to a guy handing me a piece of broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment